Ascension: Ephesians 1:17-23
7th Sunday: 1 Peter 4:13-16
1. (Ascension:) Jesus said his apostles they would receive power when the Holy Spirit came upon them. They would be his witnesses unto the ends of the earth. On whom did the disciples depend for understanding of what that meant for them? Did they understand right away or did it take some time? On whom do we depend for any spiritual understanding?
2. (7th Sunday:) Did you receive the Holy Spirit once for all time at Confirmation? Or is the Spirit dynamic and new all the time? Discuss.
1. (Ascension:) God gave Christ “the fullness of the one who fills all things in every way.” What is this fullness? What might be some “everyday” kinds of fullness? What kind of fullness would you like to have in your life?
2. (7th Sunday:) If you had your choice would you avoid all suffering? The Holy Spirit is sometimes called the Comforter. How does the Spirit comfort you when you suffer? Do you let comfort come in?
1. (Ascension:) “Behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” Jesus said this after telling the eleven to make disciples of all nations. Discuss what Pope Francis said about that:
He is with God the Father, where he always intercedes in our favor. Jesus is no longer in a definite place in the world as he was before the Ascension. He is now in the lordship of God, present in all space and time, next to each of us. In our life we are never alone: we have this Advocate who awaits us, who defends us.
2. (7th Sunday:) The Father entrusted the good news of salvation to Jesus and he in turn entrusted it to his disciples. What are the implications for you?